Friday, July 6, 2007

Filtering Software; The Educators Speak Out

I have always been a proponent of filtering software. I am quite careful of what my own children have access to on the web. I think as a teacher you have to be diligent with children's exposure for families have their own requirements.
I thought the different teachers' experieinces with their use of the different filtering devices was interesting. For teachers that teach older students and want them to be able to have access to a wide variety of web sites for their research I understand the frustration but on the other hand it is so easy to type a word and that word give you access to inappropriate web sites. Children are curious. There are too many students in a classroom to monitor all the time so without blocking devices a teacher could inadvertantly not catch something.
It does sound like different school districts are trying new things so that teachers have more control in their classrooms. I believe more training is necessary so teachers become more technologically savvy.

1 comment:

loriblogs said...

I definetly will watch what sights my children are on and filter more sights from their reach. This class has made me very aware of things I didn't know. I do believe that our filtering devices they use on the servers at school seem to do a pretty good job. I haven't ran into troubles at my level. My 5th grade son happened on one by accident while working on a school project. He told me then I reported it to his teacher and the tech department got right on it!