Sunday, July 22, 2007

EIA-chapter 5

I grew up on military bases where there was not much privacy. Families lived in close quarters where space was limited. I remember all our neighbors knew one another and knew where the children were and what they were up to. The children were never inside and so a "neighborhood watch" was set up. So most people knew your business. Privacy was not a big issue but sometimes your neighbors could be annoying. Now we do not know many of our neighbors and that can be a bad thing. I know some of my neighbors will check out the sexual offenders list to keep their children from harm. I certainly don't allow my children the freedom that my mother gave us. The neighbors keep too much to themselves to watch what's happening in their neighborhood.
People do not want to know your business yet I believe we have less privacy than ever because of the internet. The Patriot Act has taken liberties with our privacy, also. Our government and those who want to know have access to too much information. Yet Congress has passed a lot of laws regarding privacy. I found the information on wiretapping and bugs quite interesting. I did not realize the history behind wiretapping and how prevalent it was a while ago.
I do not believe we should have a National ID Card. There are too many cons. We've had to work out a lot of bugs with the SSN and it's not perfect. Why have another number?

No comments: